The Top Five Plumbing Practices Every Homeowner Should Know
As a homeowner, you should have a basic understanding of how your plumbing works. After all, you rely on your plumbing every day for tasks like cooking, cleaning, and—of course—going to the bathroom. Plus, knowing a few simple plumbing tips and tricks can help you avoid costly repairs down the road.
With that in mind, here are five essential plumbing practices every homeowner should know:
- Learn where your main water shut-off valve is located and how to use it. In the event of a plumbing emergency, you’ll need to be able to quickly shut off the water to your home to prevent extensive damage.
- Don’t pour grease or oil down your drains. When grease or oil cools, it can solidify and clog your pipes. Instead, dispose of used cooking oil in a container (like an empty can) and throw it in the trash.
- Be careful what you flush down the toilet. Only human waste and toilet paper should go down the loo—nothing else!
- Invest in drain screens. These simple devices catch hair, soap scum, and other materials that can clog your drains before they become a problem. Just make sure to clean them out on a regular basis.
- Know when to call a professional plumber. There’s no shame in admitting that you need help when it comes to plumbing—especially when dealing with major issues like sewage backups or burst pipes. Sometimes, it’s best to leave it to the experts!
Conclusion: The Top Five Plumbing Practices Every Homeowner Should Know
By following these five simple tips, you can keep your plumbing system running smoothly for years to come—and save yourself some money in the process. Of course, even the best-maintained plumbing systems occasionally run into problems. When that happens, don’t hesitate to call a professional plumber for help. They’ll have your problem fixed in no time!
JIG Sewer and Drain Cleaning
If you do end up with a clog, give JIG Plumbing a call. We’re here to help! Learn more about our sewer and drain cleaning by clicking here.
Learn more about all the service we provide as a plumber in Chino: